Preparing for bath:
Start by collecting all the bath items you need (towel, washcloth, cotton wool, new nappy and clean clothes) and position them near the bath tub. Have an unfolded towel handy in preparation for drying your baby.
- Make sure the room is at a comfortable temperature and fill the bath with about 5 cm of warm water. Test the water temperature with your wrist or elbow – it should be approximately 36°C and should NOT feel hot on your skin.
- Once the bath is ready,undress your baby. Cradling her head and shoulders with one hand and supporting her body with the other, gently lower her into the bath.
Bathing your newborn:
- Moisten a cotton wool ball with warm water and gently clean your newborn’s eyelids, wiping from inner eye to outer eye. Use a different piece of cotton wool for each eye.
- Once or twice a week you can wash your newborn’s hair. To do so, lay baby down in the bath and gently splash some water onto her head. There’s no need for shampoo until she’s older.
- Use a soft washcloth to gently clean your newborn’s face (1), then the neck and body (2), leaving the genitals and bottom till last (3).